After two lengthy weeks of peace within the queendom, one other contestant was lastly despatched packing on Friday’s episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race, which featured the long-awaited Snatch Recreation of Season 13.
Let’s begin with the few good performances, a few of which may probably go down within the annals of herstory alongside the all-time greats:
* Gottmik as Paris Hilton was frighteningly spot-on, simply the perfect of the bunch. From the faux voice to the facial contouring to the Ibiza shoutout, it was simply *chef’s kiss* perfection from begin to end. I want the jokes had been a bit stronger, however I’ll accept fairly humorous and disturbingly correct.
* Symone as Harriet Tubman was undoubtedly among the many evening’s riskier selections; even Symone admitted, “I perceive the way it may very well be offensive, however I don’t need to let that cease me from doing it.” And he or she didn’t let it cease her, turning out one of many extra hysterical performances. In actual fact, I actually thought it may very well be a winner… that’s, till she obtained Jenifer Lewis and Jennifer Lawrence combined up. That undoubtedly knocked her down a peg.
* Denali as Jonathan Van Ness lastly earned this forgotten queen some correct critiques from the judges, and so they had nothing however good issues to say about her general efficiency. The vitality, the hair flips, the collective vocabulary of a Lisa Frank sticker e-book… it was shockingly entertaining.
* Rosé as Mary Queen of Scots undoubtedly regarded the half. Was she humorous? The judges appeared to assume so! Actually, I may barely perceive a phrase she was saying, which is a part of what Ru & Co. appeared to get pleasure from. General, I believed this was at all times in peril of veering into the “too mental” class, however Rosé managed to maintain it on monitor. And it was all price it for that Kandy Muse confessional second: “Child, I don’t know who the f–ok Mary Queen of Scots is, however Rosé has this humorous ass Eire accent.” What number of instances can an individual go mistaken in a single sentence?
Now for what I name the “blah” class, the inoffensive-but-uninspired performances that I didn’t hate… but additionally gained’t bear in mind for for much longer:
* Tina Burner as Richard Simmons had a number of potential, however I don’t assume it ever fairly made it out of the gate. The vitality was undoubtedly there, however the jokes merely weren’t.
* Kandy Muse as Patrick Starrr was fantastic. I’ll admit, I don’t know a complete lot in regards to the make-up mogul. Does he usually eat bananas with out taking the peel off? I did my due diligence and regarded up a couple of of his movies, and I didn’t assume Kandy actually bothered making an attempt to sound like him, both. It wasn’t good, but it surely wasn’t horrible. It simply… was.
Now for the actually terrible performances, those for which apologies are owed:
* Olivia Lux as Tabitha Brown was actually disappointing, particularly contemplating how excited Olivia was to play her. Then once more, I ought to have predicted it will go down in flames after Olivia spoke so extremely of her work within the final improv problem. You realize, the one the place she was actually a mime with no dialogue? She might have perfected Brown’s look, however a couple of jokes would have additionally been a plus.
* Utica Queen as Bob Ross was a rattling nightmare from the second we obtained a have a look at that wig made out of squirrels. (As Utica defined, she didn’t assume it was acceptable to put on an afro in 2021… which even Ru discovered utterly insane.) And did she actually eat that inexperienced paint? I don’t care if it was non-toxic, it was bizarre as hell. And never in a great way. Her complete efficiency gave me main serial killer vibes.
* Elliott With 2 Ts as Rue McClanahan made me need to attain my palms into the TV and shake some sense (or at the least a couple of jokes) into her. Why would you select to play one of many Golden Women — a present RuPaul had admittedly watched 25 instances throughout — except you had been assured you could possibly completely nail Blanche Deveraux? [Pause to give Sophia time to make a joke.] The one advantage of Elliott’s flat efficiency was that it really gave me extra appreciation for a way nuanced and complicated McClanahan’s character actually is.
I can’t absolutely argue that Gottmik shouldn’t have gained this problem; her Hilton impression was spot-on, and her runway look — full with Swarovski blood dripping from the enormous security pin caught by means of her head — was phenomenal.
However in what universe was Symone merely “protected”? Not solely was she hysterical within the Snatch Recreation (save for that Lewis/Lawrence snafu), however her runway look was a second. Wearing all white, with gunshots in her again and “Say their names” printed on her fascinator, she used her platform to make a strong assertion. I’m glad Ru acknowledged that earlier than sending Symone to security, however I might have most well-liked that she stay on the stage like the highest contender that she was. Finish rant.
This week’s bottoms, in the meantime, had been no shock. The judges might have loved Utica and Elliott’s runway seems to be — which had been impressed by picnics and flamingos, respectively — however they failed too exhausting on the Snatch Recreation to keep away from a punishment. Utica knew she’d want to provide this her all with the intention to stand an opportunity towards proven-assassin Elliott… and that’s precisely what she did. The queens watching from the again of the stage appeared to be dwelling for Utica’s each quirk and kick. Whereas Elliott took a barely sexier method to Firm B’s “Fascinated,” Utica opted for a extra comedic efficiency. And it paid off.
When the music completed, Elliott and each single final one in all her Ts had been despatched packing. Would you have got despatched her house? And who delivered your favourite Snatch Recreation efficiency(s)? Weigh in through our ballot under, then drop a remark with extra of your ideas.